The Company has an extensive collection of playing cards, which can be seen at London Metropolitan Archives
The collection began with a bequest of over six hundred packs from Henry D Phillips. His collection was of the highest quality, with many items of significant historic interest from around the world. Phillips was Master of the Company four times; his first year as Master was 1854 and his last was 1896.
The pack shown here is an English standard by Christopher Blanchard - Blanchard was himself Master of the Company in 1742. The 'Great Mogul' picture is from the wrapper. At this time, each maker used a different picture to make their cards stand out, and the Great Mogul was a designation used by the Blanchards. Later makers used the same 'great mogul' name to represent their highest quality cards.